Sunday, March 16, 2014

A Moveable Feast

For my novel, I am reading Ernest Hemingway's, A Moveable Feast.This book is a memoir about Ernest Hemingway and about his time he spent living in Paris, France during the 1920's. He is there with his wife and son and many other authors are included in this book.  

 So far, this book is just okay. I found it pretty hard to follow and if I was actually able to do so I feel like I would like it a lot more. This is my first time reading Hemingway so I didn't really know what to expect. I've always been told that he was one of the best and now I get to see that for my self.

I noticed quickly that Hemingway is very descriptive. The way that he describes the places where he is at is quite remarkable. He is very descriptive and its almost like you are right there beside him. The way he describes the sights and smells of this cafe in Paris it great. He also talks about how the weather in Paris during this time as quite similar to the weather in Michigan; cold and windy. I thought it was pretty cool that there was a connection with our state while reading the first 50 pages of the book. I also found it interesting that, although he is an American writer, he still has a lot of European influences in his writing. For example, spelling color the english way, c-o-l o-u-r or spelling oder, o-d-o-u-r. 

I can't wait to continue reading this book. I hope that things clear up a little and that I will be able to understand it a little better but, I have high hopes and hopefully I will want to read more by Hemingway when I'm finished reading this novel.

1 comment:

  1. that must be an interesting read, Hemingway is very descriptive! Paris would have been a really cool place to be in the 1920s!

    ReplyDelete