Sunday, February 23, 2014

The Jungle - Ch.14-20

While reading chapters 14 through chapters 20 of Sinclair's, The Jungle, I found it to be truly depressing. I could not help it but to feel really bad for Jurgis and his family. Their situation while living in American just got progressively worse as I read on. From finding out that his wife has been getting raped for two months straight by her boss, to being thrown into prison and having to just sit there while his family is struggling just to survive. Its something that I could never imagine having to go through. With everything that has been going on in his life, its no wonder why he turned to alcohol as an escape as well. It isn't the best way to escape his problems going on but, from his point of view, its the only one. He had to witness the death of his newly born baby and also the death of his wife who he loved so very much. 

These chapters were so terribly depressing for Jurgis and his family that I really didn't like to read it. Personally, when I'm reading a book I don't want to feel sad when reading it. I am more a fan of action books and books that add more comedy into them. Thats my kind of books. Reading a depressing book like The Jungle just isn't my idea of a "good time. I like to be happy as long as I possibly can!

No comments:

Post a Comment